When I first tried this recipe I couldn’t imagine how Mexican and Italian could go together. I was wowed by the mixture after taking one bite and have been making them ever since. This Open Faced Mexican Stromboli will be one of your family favorites after you try it. This recipe is super duper easy and packed with flavor.
This Mexican Stromboli Will Wow Your Taste buds!
A homemade Stromboli will blow anyone away. For those who think it’s complicated, I brought you this super easy recipe, and the results are nothing short of amazing! With crunchy toast, ground turkey, sour cream, and plenty of cheese, this stromboli is sure to satisfy.
What is Stromboli?
Stromboli is an Italian Swiss roll filled with cheese (typically mozzarella) and cold cuts (typically Italian meats such as salami, capocollo, and bresaola) or vegetables. Usually, the dough is either pizza dough or Italian bread dough. The dish was invented by Italian-Americans in suburban Philadelphia in the United States. Stromboli is the name of a volcanic island off the coast of Sicily, which is named for a 1950 film.
An Easier Version: Italian and Mexican Combo
As with regular Stromboli, these Open Faced Mexican Stromboli are made from toast, mozzarella, and ground turkey. Additionally, like regular Stromboli, there is no sauce inside- instead, it’s served separately for dipping. However, the biggest difference is that Stromboli are rolled up while these are made on toast. This allows for a crusty surface and smaller, party-sized bites.
What is in a Stromboli?
You can fill stromboli with pretty much anything. Start with pizza dough, bread dough, or even toast then stuff it with cheese, pizza sauce, and cold cut meat. You can mix it up and do different variations like chicken, salami, peperoni, Philly cheesesteak and so many others.
Reasons to Love this Recipe
This Easy Stromboli Recipe can satisfy your stromboli cravings in 35 minutes! You can also customize it with various fillings that you prefer. Another reason to fall in love with it is that it is simple enough for a weekday meal, yet delicious enough to be the “must have” appetizer for game day or any gathering.
Stromboli Recipe Ingredients
- Ground Turkey: I used Butterball ground turkey. Feel free to use any ground turkey you like.
- Sour cream: I used Kraft sour cream. It delivers a delicious taste that gives a kick to the recipe.
- Texas Toast: Texas toast is made of thick, white bread that is butter-slathered on both sides and grilled rather than toasted to a golden brown finish. Texas toast has more moisture and softness than regular-sized slices of bread because of the additional thickness
- Sharp Shredded Cheese: I used Kraft. Feel free to use any shredded cheese of your choice. Shredded Mozzarella will also work in this recipe.
- Taco Seasoning: I used Mild McCormick taco seasoning.
Share this Recipe with a Stromboli Lover!
Frequently Asked Questions
Stromboli can be assembled up to 24 hours in advance of baking and kept tightly wrapped in the fridge until they are baked. Before baking, let the stromboli cool at room temperature while your oven heats.
Definitely! This recipe can be doubled, tripled, and even quadrupled! You can also cut down the recipe by half if you want to make a smaller batch.
You can substitute ground beef for chicken, salami, peperoni, Philly cheesesteak and so many other choices.
If you are serving stromboli as a meal, you can serve it with a big green salad and fruit on the side.
Calzones are basically a folded up pizza stuffed with your favorite toppings and then baked. Each slice of a calzone contains layers of the crust and toppings you choose.
You can make your own dough or use prepared pizza dough if you don’t like toast.
For extra heat, you can add some jalapeños on top. Jalapeños go very well with cheese.
Don’t want to use ground turkey? I’ve got you covered. Substitute black beans for turkey and dip in avocado sauce.
Open Faced Mexican Stromboli Ingredients
- Ground turkey or beef (I used Butterball Turkey)
- Texas Toast
- Sour cream
- Sharp shredded cheese (I used Kraft)
- Mild McCormick taco seasoning
How to Make Open faced Mexican Stromboli
1. First, brown ground turkey or beef meat in a large skillet on medium heat. Drain fat from meat.
2. Next, stir in seasoning mix and water.
3. Add sour cream.
4. Reduce heat and allow meat to simmer.
5. Then, bake Texas Toast according to instructions on the box half way done.
6. Pull toast out the oven and turn each piece over.
7. After that, top each piece of toast with ground turkey or beef and top it off with shredded cheese.
8. Finally, put the pan back in the oven for 3-5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Bonus Tip: This meal is great with Salsa or you can even add pepperoni on top to give it a twist.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
- TURKEY MEATLOAF WITH BREADCRUMBS
- OVEN ROASTED TURKEY BREAST – QUICK EASTER RECIPE
- EASY CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- 5 INGREDIENT WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- JUICY AIR FRYER CORNISH HEN
Irresistible Open Faced Mexican Stromboli
- 1 pound turkey or beef I used Butterball Turkey
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 box Texas Toast 8 count
- 8 ounces bag sharp shredded cheese I used Kraft
- 1 package Mild McCormick Taco Seasoning
- ¾ cup water
- Brown ground turkey or beef meat in a large skillet on medium heat. Drain fat from meat.
- Stir in seasoning mix and water
- Add sour cream then reduce heat and allow meat to simmer
- Bake Texas Toast according to instructions on the box half way done. Then, pull toast outside the oven and turn each piece over.
- Top each piece of toast with ground turkey or beef and top it off with shredded cheese.
- Put the pan back in the oven for 3-5 minutes or until cheese melts.